Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Facial Recognition

Facial Recognition

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's
glory are being transformed into His likeness with
ever-increasing glory." II Corinthians 3:18

With each passing day, the pressure is mounting for me to get a breakthrough in the all-important area of facial recognition. Calls to Homeland Security for training in their software have gone unanswered, the local community college still doesn't offer any courses that would help, and support groups in my area have refused me as a hopeless case.

If you're wondering what the problem is, let me explain. On countless visits to see newborn babies, in the hospital or at home, there are always the "she looks just like her .........." (insert mother or father). Or how about the "he has his father's chin" or, even more common, "she has her mother's eyes". How do they do it? I have never, and I do mean never, been able to tell who a baby looks like. My record is worse than the Detroit Lions, sadder than the Chicago Cubs, and, to make matters worse, Hope Anne will be here soon. Out of town relatives will ask "Who does your granddaughter look like and I won't have an answer for them.

In fact, the only area of recognition that I can function in is this: seeing Christ reflected in someone's life. Whether someone has genuine love and understanding for others who might be struggling, that's easy to recognize. And if a person really cares when another member of the body of Christ is suffering or hurting, I can pick that up. Patience, forgiveness, compassion, mercy - if only "her mother's nose" was as easy to spot as those in the life of a Christian. And bitterness, jealousy, anger, selfishness - if only "his grandfather's chin" was as clearly reflected as those traits.

The oft repeated phrase "you might be the only Jesus they will ever see" is truer than we would like to admit. Whether we like it or not, we reflect Christ and His attributes to those around us. We can bring the Lord glory and honor, and advance His kingdom, when the character of Christ is seen in us. Unfortunately, we can also dishonor the Lord, and hinder other people's coming to Christ, when our attitudes and lifestyle do not reflect the Lord and His kingdom. And both are a lot more obvious than who a little baby looks like!!

Let's all remember, people are looking to see who we resemble. As for me, when I'm done with this letter, I'll keep searching for a course that will train me in facial recognition.
I can only hope that Hope doesn't come too early!

God Bless,
Pastor Joe
Gateway Church

No comments:

Post a Comment