Friday, November 13, 2009

Lake Ontario

Lake Ontario

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even
though you do not see him now, you believe in him and
are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy."
I Peter 1:8

Coming across the western end of Lake Ontario last night, on my way to visit my mom, I was reminded of a scene that I had witnessed many times over the years. Looking out from one of the beaches or roads along the lake, you could see water stretching out as far as the eye could see until it disappeared into the horizon.

Growing up as a kid, there was a rumor that straight across the lake from our hometown of Rochester, New York, was a city called Toronto, with millions of people from all over the world. You could see it on a map, read about it in books, but even though it was only 50 miles or so away, you just couldn't see it. It was, as they say so often, just over the horizon.

Driving alone last night, I started to think about how that picture of Lake Ontario is a lot like the walk of faith we have been called to. We have so many promises from the Lord and there is much that lies ahead for each of us but they are not things that we can see, they are in the future and ove the horizon of our lives. I can laugh now when I think about the "rumors" of a city called Toronto, having visited it many times and enjoyed spending time there. And when I look out at Lake Ontario these days, I have a total confidence that Toronto exists even though I can't see it. And the reason is because I've stayed in beautful hotels there, enjoyed walking downtown with Nancy at night, and eaten sweet rolls from my favorite bakery in Chinatown.

There are 393 cubic miles of water separating me from Toronto where I sit in mom's den typing this out, with waves churning and cold winds blowing. In our lives, there are trials to be faced and difficulties to be overcome but the promises of God are sure and to be trusted in. You can rest in the fact that over the horizon of your life, after you've walked through some valleys and made it over some mountains, untold blessings are waiting for you. I can say that with confidence because, as I Peter 2:3 says, I "have tasted that the Lord is good".

That hope and confidence in God has to become a reality in each of our lives. David wrote in Psalm 27:13 "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in this life." He was able to see beyond the horizon of difficulties to the shoreline of rest and victory on the other side of his Lake Ontario.

God Bless
Pastor Joe
Gateway Church

No comments:

Post a Comment