Friday, February 19, 2010

The Intangible of Prayer

The Intangible of Prayer



“Because I know how it’s going to turn out. Through your faithful
prayers and the generous response of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
everything He wants to do in and through me will be done.”

Philippians 1:19 MSG



In getting ready to leave for the airport in a little less than 2 hours, I’m checking and double checking to make sure I have everything packed for my trip to the Philippines. The list is pretty long:



* 15 Study Bibles (for the Bible School graduates)
* 12 Bottles of Vitamins
* 6 Bags of M&Ms (Easter colors of course)
* Notes for teaching in the Bible School & for speaking at a seminar
* 4 Packages of Licorice, Dove Chocolates, Lido Cookies, etc
* 4 Computer Programs, 1 Cordless Microphone, batteries, etc
* 18 books, 2 other Bibles, Taco Seasoning, Assorted Cheeses, etc
* 2 Hair Straighteners (for the missionaries, of course)
* And innumerable pictures of Hope (so maybe I’m a proud grandpa……..)



Unfortunately, the most important ingredients for this trip being successful aren’t items that I can pack in my suitcases. Those are what Paul was referring to in the verse above when he expressed his confidence that “everything God wants to do in me and through me will be done.” That sounds like an incredible statement to make but Paul knew, first of all, that people would be faithfully praying for him. And he knew from experience the importance and power of prayer offered on another person’s behalf. Knowing that others would be praying for him inspired Paul during this season of his being a Roman prisoner, causing him to be confident not only in his deliverance but in God fulfilling every purpose He had for Paul’s life.



And while I started out applying this verse to my situation and my needing prayer while ministering in the Philippines, my thoughts turned to others who may be needing our prayers to help them in difficult situations. Whether they are battling physical ailments, personal difficulties, or struggling to hold onto hope for the future, we all know those who desperately need our prayers, prayers that will tip the scales in their favor, prayers that will bring the resources of heaven to their aid, prayers that will quite simply make a difference. Are there those in your life who need your faithful prayers? Is it time for you to rise to the occasion for a friend or loved one who isn’t sure how things will turn out in their life? Your faithful prayers are more important than you realize; start today to call on the Lord on the behalf of others who need your help. You’ll be greatly rewarded!



God Bless
Pastor Joe
Gateway Church

No comments:

Post a Comment