Wednesday, February 5, 2014

No Drinking

“Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it,
but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.”
Deuteronomy 4:2
 
The warning label for the latest antibiotic I’ve been prescribed comes with the all-caps caution, ‘DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE YOU ARE TAKING THIS PRODUCT’ followed by a long list of woes that might be caused if the patient chooses to ignore the warning. Despite assuring the doctor that I don’t drink alcohol as he wrote out the prescription, he proceeded to caution me twice again, the last time as I was opening the examination room door to leave, of the dangers of mixing alcohol with this particular medicine.

To be honest, I never once thought that the doctor was out to spoil my fun, that he was taking away my freedom of choice, or that he was worried about the appearance of what it would look like if one of his patients was found drinking alcohol. No, I left there convinced that he was clearly educated on the effects of combining this particular drug with alcohol in any form and that he was looking out for me in giving me the repeated warnings. In fact, it would be pretty sad to have a doctor that didn’t warn you about something that could seriously hurt you, that didn’t look out for your best interests and have your back on something as profound as this. And it would be equally sad if, in our own pride, we ignored the warnings and followed what we thought best or what we felt like doing.

The Bible contains God’s warning labels, His cautions and admonitions, but so often He doesn’t get the respect or obedience that we so willingly follow in the natural realm. God’s cautions on every area of life can be counted on to be for our good. Now, I’ve never studied the effects of combining the 13 letter long antibiotic with anything but I’m going with the professionals on this one. And the same holds true with God only infinitely more so. His commands are flawless, His law is perfect, His statutes are trustworthy and His precepts are right. No need to add to them, or subtract from them; if God’s Word calls us to do something, or to not do something, it’s a guarantee, it’s a sure thing! Be encouraged that you will never go wrong by following God’s commands and walking in obedience to the divine prescriptions found in His Word!

God Bless,
Pastor Joe
Gateway Church

No comments:

Post a Comment