Monday, March 2, 2015

One Another

“Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.”
I John 4:11

Excuse me if I find myself battling a case of jealousy this morning but after another night of insomnia, I was hoping for a little sympathy from the Lord, maybe in the form of some reassuring scripture like, “Because you have not slept, I will bless you!” But no such luck. In fact, all God seems to care about these days is some person named One Another. To be honest, I don’t know if it’s Mr. or Mrs. One Anther, or maybe Ms or Miss One Another, not to mention whether they are young or old, Caucasian, Hispanic, African American or Asian. The only thing I know is that God is always talking about One Another and how important they are.

Again, I’m sorry for my frustration but God said that people can judge my Christianity by how I treat this One Another person, saying in John 13:35, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love One Another.” After just coming back from a missions trip, going to church two days in a row including an optional Saturday morning prayer meeting, giving an offering and the litmus test of my Christianity is how I treat One Another? That I can do all that for God and He says that everyone has the right to judge me based on my love for this One Another person – this must be one pretty important person to God!

But is gets worse! I’m not only supposed to find this One Another man or woman but I’m supposed to purposefully encourage them, as Paul wrote, “Therefore encourage One Another and build One Another up.” And I’m to do it every day! Hebrews 3:13 says “But encourage One Another daily as long as it is called today.” And later in the book, “And let us consider how we may spur One Another on toward love and good deeds …. and encourage One Another.”

I’d like to tell you that’s all there is but it goes on and on. I have to open my home to One Another after hearing God say “Be hospitable to One Another without grumbling.” (I Peter 4:9) Not to mention the fact that I have to pray for One Another (James 5:16), greet One Another with a kiss of love (now that’s going too far!) (I Peter 5:14) forgive One Another when they hurt me in any way, and according to Galatians 6:2, “Carry One Another’s burdens.”

Well, if this One Another guy or girl matters that much to God, I guess they should matter that much to me. Let’s just hope, as I go about my day, that I can find them and begin to love them as the Lord loves me, showing this One Another person the fervent love that God asks me to.

God Bless
Pastor Joe
Gateway Church

No comments:

Post a Comment